AffloVest Real World Review



Howdy! This time I'm going to talk about a new piece of hardware I have been using for the last few months: AffloVest. I have used a therapy vest for decades now, and they have finally hit the point where they aren't a burden! In years past, the therapy vests that I have used have been large, loud, and stationary. I was chained within a few feet of the device for about 30 minutes (with the first vest I owned, I had to sit on a button for it to work). Suffice it to say that the new models are much more advanced and free.

Front view of the vest.


The AffloVest is a wireless, portable device that provides physical therapy while taking a breathing treatment (or whenever). Physical therapy is important for people with Cystic Fibrosis as this actually helps to make the patient cough to bring up the mucus that the medication helps to loosen. Chest therapy is a vital part of the breathing treatment routine, and one that many people (including myself in the past) neglect. The main appeal of the AffloVest to me is that I can move around freely while using the vest. This is huge. It may not seem that way to the layman, but trust me, it is! I also really hated all the large tubes that were a necessary part of the prior vest models that I have owned. They always popped out of place or were slapping against me. It was a huge annoyance. Well, there are no large tubes on this puppy!

Back of the vest.


The size of the vest itself is about the same as previous models I have had, but a little bulkier due to all of the actual hardware being contained in the vest itself. I was worried that due to this the vest would be too heavy, but that isn't the case here. The AffloVest is a nice weight that gives it a durable feel (I did not feel this way about the Hill-Rom Monarch, AffloVest's competitor, when I tried it). It seems to be constructed well and built to last. The vest is adjustable to four different sizes on each shoulder via snap buttons. Additionally, the vest has three front clips that are adjustable according to your girth. This really is the most comfortable therapy vest I have ever owned.

The adjustable shoulder snaps.


I mentioned the noise factor earlier, and the AffloVest wins here, as well. Because of the smaller form factor, the noise output is much less than with previous vest models I have owned. My nebulizer is actually much louder than my vest! This is an improvement, as the noise on prior models could get absurd. It is easy to hear the television or music, or have a conversation. I have even been able to read some while using the vest. I still prefer to do other things while using the vest, but this is a welcome change.


The battery life is really great. I can get about 10-12 uses before needing to charge the vest, and this translates to a week's worth of use on a charge. This is the aspect that I was most interested in when comparing vests. I am thus far very pleased with the battery on this thing. It charges through a small adapter that plugs into the battery. The charging brick itself is actually pretty small, so it doesn't take up a lot of space. 


Finally, we get to the features. AffloVest is controlled through the use of an attached remote. The vest has three different modes: Vibration, Percussion, and Drainage. Percussion is a continuous pounding for whatever length of time you choose (mine is set to ten-minute increments). Vibration pounds in short bursts of a couple of seconds each. Drainage pounds in short bursts around different zones of the vest (upper front, lower back, upper back, etc.). There are three different force levels: low, medium, and high that all provide a more or less intense session. There is a usage screen that shows the total time the vest has been used. There is also a programming option so that you can set each sequence up with the mode and length of time that you want. You can pause in the middle of treatments and restart for proper chest clearance, as well.

The AffloVest remote.

All in all, this is the absolute best therapy vest I have ever owned. It is easily the most advanced in terms of options and features. The Drainage mode is great, and possibly my favorite part, aside from the mobility. I think you would be hardpressed to find another therapy vest model that is better. I haven't spent anywhere near as much time with the Monarch, but based on the time I did have with it, the AffloVest beats it hands down! I got this vest just before the quarantine started, and I'm glad I did. This is another great advancement in Cystic Fibrosis technology. Get one for yourself!


Comments

Kathleen B said…
Love this blog about the Afflovest , thank you so much for sharing!!!!

Popular Posts